Monday, February 25, 2013

{Real Food}

There is a fantastic website { www.100daysofrealfood.com } ... When I first found her site I was in awe. What a cool site! But after awhile her post about which foods (the ones currently sitting in my kitchen that we eat every day) aren't real and are full of chemicals were starting to hurt my feelings. Mostly because I know the cost of the real foods and it just wasn't in my very small grocery budget.

Have you heard the quote... Pay the farmer now or the doctor later? ... I'm trying to really put that into practice and now that tax time has come and gone and we have made some financial changes (canceling our cable, I changed to a "normal" phone instead of a smart phone, ect) just little things to allow our grocery budget to grow a little so we can eat "real" food.

We are going to do the 10 day real food pledge (click here for the rules) when our farmers market opens. I am going to slowly change over the things we eat to the real thing before then so it won't be a huge grocery trip (expensive) or a shock. ;) The first thing we changed was butter. We bought REAL butter. It is amazing. It changes the way everything tastes and we love it. I blame this on my girlfriend Heather... she was talking about it one day and I couldn't get it out of my head. I wish I took a picture of the ingredient comparison  There are just two ingredients in butter... cream and salt. I like the salt. :) However it was 2.99 for real butter, 1lb. 3.39 for margarine for almost 3lbs of chemicals. I'm happily paying the extra. :)

I stumbled onto the site www.plantoeat.com through her blog tonight and I think that is going to be an essential tool in doing our 10 day pledge.

We put an order in at kc.doortodoororganics.com. They deliver a box of organic produce to your house! You can also add all kinds of different groceries, I have some eggs coming too. But there is a lot of local items and meats! It is defiantly something that is going to help out with the grocery dilemma!

I think Mondays will be our Trader Joe day, Wednesday farmers market, Every other Thursday is the door to door delivery (which I might cancel in the summer while I have the market right down the street.), Friday is my KO day so I can catch up on any extra grocery shopping that I need to and I plan to take my Grandma to the River Market this summer. So get ready Grandma! :)

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!!! I'm so excited to read this. I love it when people get educated about real food. There are lots of ways to eat healthy and not have a huge budget. Not eating so much meat is one of them!

    Aldi is a really good place to shop for basic things too. They have good prices and lots of fresh foods.

    I wish we lived closer!I'd definitely be hitting up all these markets with you.

    ReplyDelete